Meet the GHS Board
The GHS Board meets at least once a month. If you have questions or comments for the Board please email our president at email@example.com.
The Society’s Annual General Meetings and Special General Meetings are announced by the Board to all members by personal email, advertised in the newspaper, posted on our Facebook page, and also posted on this website’s Home Page.
Education, housing, finance and board experience
• Worked as an adult educator, including teaching group facilitation skills
• Involved in affordable housing issues on Gabriola for ten years
• Understands the general structures and procedures of the Islands Trust
• Understands general financial management of non-profit organizations
• 25 years of experience serving on boards of registered charities, including serving as Secretary, Treasurer, President.
Environmental standards and regulations, government liaison, business finance, and board experience
• Senior technical resource person for Canada’s largest environmental testing company
• 20 years of experience on not for profit Boards, including GIRO
• Liaises regularly with provincial and federal governments on environmental matters
• Previously president of $10 million company
• Many years of experience with business finance.
• Previously Treasurer of GIRO
Barry joined the board in September 2019
Secretary/Communications Director: Jenni Gehlbach
Communications, business, affordable housing and board experience; long-time Gabriola resident
• Owned and managed a retail business in BC for 13 years; operated a freelance technical editing business for 8 years
• Has been both a landlord and a tenant and has lived in subsidized housing elsewhere.
• Served on Gabriola’s Housing Task Force (2011/3)
• Communications director for Gabriola Land and Trails Trust (GaLTT)
• Wrote and edited curriculum materials, academic theses, books, websites, research interviews, surveys, and reports in Canada, USA, Jamaica, and UAE
• Served on the Boards of several non-profits and charities
Board member: Jennefer Laidley
• 20+ years experience working in non-profit policy, advocacy and communications roles
• Served as lead on numerous complex communications initiatives, research projects, advocacy activities, and community-based campaigns
• Extensive experience with poverty-related issues including affordable housing policy advocacy
• 20+ years of experience on non-profit boards
• Currently serves on the Gabriola Island Advisory Planning Commission and volunteers at People for a Healthy Community
• Lead researcher and writer of the 2020 Gabriola Health Report
Board member: Jim Ramsay
Administration, marketing, housing, and Board experience; long-time Gabriola resident
• Extensive administrative and marketing experience with a major airline
• Property management for self-managed condominiums
• Founding Board member of the Gabriola Community Bus Foundation that developed Gabriola’s community bus service
• Founder and operator of the New Year’s Eve First Night Celebrations on Gabriola for over 10 years
• Member of the Gabriola Village Vision leadership team (2012-18) that facilitated a community-led planning process for the future of Gabriola’s village core
Board member: Kristina Wray
Project management, group facilitation, and policy development experience
• Experience working with marginalized people, including BC First Nations, persons with disabilities, and women fleeing domestic violence
• Experience in group facilitation, negotiation and mediation, and conflict resolution.
• Familiarity with policy development and drafting legal agreements
• Has been both a landlord and a renter
• Has served on the board of non-profit organizations and advisory committees
• Project and festival planning and management experience in Vancouver and on Gabriola, most recently as the 2020 Festival Director for the Isle of the Arts Festival and IoTA Mini
You Can Help Us
One of the best ways you can help is to make a tax-deductible donation. GHS is a registered charity. Use our Canada Helps website form button to make your donation—they will issue your tax receipt. Or you can send an e-transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org or cheque directly to GHS.